You might be a bit grossed out from the title, but I swear that this meal has become a staple in my diet. I found this recipe on Pinterest a while back, but I was always hesitant to try it. It sounds a little absurd, but this meal has changed my life. I AM IN LOVE WITH IT! It’s cheap, high in protein and you can mix in anything you would like! I even cooked mine with hummus and spinach the other morning.
For this recipe you will need two eggs, a cup of cottage cheese and any other toppings you choose.
1. Start whisking the two eggs as you normally would if you were making scrambled eggs.
2. After about 45 seconds, pour in a cup of cottage cheese and continue whisking.
3. Keep stirring the mixture for a couple minutes until the eggs are fully cooked and it is obvious that they are done.
While the eggs and cottage cheese are still in the bowl, add pepper, cheese, vegetables or whatever your little heart desires!
The concoction may look a little strange, but give it a try! It’s a delicious and filling way to start your morning.
Black bean burgers are one of my favorite meals, and I always make them when I attend BBQs. I saw a caption on Pinterest that read: Quick and Easy Black Bean Burgers- 6 ingredients/15 minutes. As a vegetarian, I was THRILLED and attempted to make them! The ingredients are so simple that I was shocked at how much I liked them. This recipe is a must if you regularly attend picnics or BBQs.
For this recipe you will need:
- 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp honey mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ⅓ cup instant oats
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash black beans with a fork until mostly pureed.
3. Stir in condiments and spices until well combined and mix in the oats.
4. Divide the mix into three or four equal portions and shape them into patties.
5. Bake for seven minutes on one side then carefully flip over the patties for another seven minutes.
I served mine on a bun with lettuce, cheese, tomato, pickle and chips! Perfect when you are craving real meat at a BBQ or picnic.
Let me know if you like them!
“An apple a day keeps the doctor away,” my mother would always tell me. I was lurking Pinterest to find recipes that involved oatmeal when I stumbled my way onto this little number. Here’s a new twist on one of the healthiest fruits out there (that’s much better for you than fattening cinnamon-flavored cereal.)
The ingredients you will need are:
- 2 large apples
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Wash and core apples. You want to make the hole about an inch in diameter so there is enough room for stuffing. Place cored apples in a lightly oiled rimmed baking dish.
2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
3. Fill apples with the oatmeal mixture and then spoon then pour the rest of the oatmeal in the dish, surrounding the apples.
4. Bake, uncovered, for approximately 35-50 minutes. To test for doneness, pierce apple with a knife; if it slides through fairly easy it’s done.
This recipe takes a little longer but is perfect for a rainy day. The original recipe I found on Pinterest even topped their apples with vanilla ice cream and cool whip!
My friends are always scared to death to try the tofu or fake meat that I eat. I had a pot luck at my house last night, and I decided it was about time for my friends to understand how good fake meat can actually be. The dinner was Mexican themed so I decided to make mini taco bites using tofu. Because the tacos were in small portions, my friends decided to give them a go. In the end, my friends had devoured them within minutes! These took minutes to make and were super inexpensive.
Here are the ingredients you will need: Tostitos Scoops, Tofu Scrambles or your choice of fake ground beef, taco mix, cheese, tomatoes, pepper, sour cream and whatever you want to choose as a topping.
1. Mix the taco mix and fake beef in a frying pan on high for about five minutes.
2. Lay out chips on a cookie sheet and scoop in a decent amount of fake meat into each chip.
3. Add cheese, tomato, sour cream, peppers and other toppings onto the fake meat.
4. Bake in the oven for about seven minutes on 350 degrees or until hot.
I served mine with guacamole, beans and rice!
A healthy lifestyle sometimes deprives you of your favorite comfort foods. For example, I am ALWAYS craving pizza. I turned Pinterest to look for alternative snacks to satisfy my pizza cravings. I found a healthy and easy-to-make recipe using quinoa. These pizza bites were a HUGE hit with all of my roommates, and I will definitely make them again!
For this recipe you will need:
- 1/2 c. uncooked quinoa
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1/2 c. fat free shredded mozzarella
- 1 t. minced garlic
- 1 T. dried basil
- 1 t. dried oregano
- pizza sauce for dipping
1. Boil the quinoa in one cup of water and cover. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa should have completely absorbed the water.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all of your ingredients (except the pizza sauce) in a mixing bowl until it is well mixed.
3. Lightly spray the bottom of a mini-muffin tin with olive oil spray. Using a Tablespoon, scoop the mix into each muffin tin.
4. Bake them for 15-20 and let cool.
Serve them warm with pizza sauce to dip in!
Since I am a vegetarian, I need foods high in protein to keep my body healthy. I eat eggs on a weekly basis, but sometimes this can get a little boring. I looked on Pinterest to see if I could find any new recipes using eggs since I always seem to crave my grandmother’s egg salad. I found some great recipes, but the thing is, I refuse to spend hours at the gym trying to work off all of the calories that are in these recipes. I found the perfect recipe that substitutes most of the fattening mayo with Greek yogurt. After making it, I honestly like the taste better, and the best part is that it only takes minutes to prepare this delicious, healthy meal!
For this recipe you will need: a dozen hard-boiled eggs, low-fat Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, black pepper, salt, lettuce and any other ingredient you would like to add to the salad.
1. Cut the eggs into small chunks about the size of a dime. I prefer less yolk in my egg salad so I threw a couple of the yolks out.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, mayo, salt, pepper and dill.
3. Combine the yogurt mixture with the eggs.
4. Combine everything with the fork, using a light touch.
After the salad is mixed, put your salad on any kind of bread of your choice or eat it with appetizers! Personally, I put my salad in pita bread and diced a few tomatoes to go with.
My name is McKenzie and I am a first time blogger! I attend the University of Florida, am a vegetarian, love crafting, baking, tanning, animals, photography and all things involving nature.
Being a busy college student, I don’t have much free time. Between school, interning, balancing my family, friends and boyfriend, I barely have any time to myself.
Simply saying that I love Pinterest is an understatement. If I’m not busy, I’m on Pinterest. My room is covered in DIY projects that came from Pinterest, and half of my weekly meals are inspired by the decadent foods that I have found on the site.
I created this blog to help the average college student take on these so called “Pinterest Food Projects.” Being a college student myself, I know how frustrating it is to come across a picture that inspires you, but knowing you don’t have the time or money to cook it.
I will be blogging about cooking healthy, vegetarian meals on a budget that won’t destroy your time or wallet.
I hope that you find this blog to be resourceful and don’t burn down your kitchen along the way. Happy cooking!